Fried Chicken Mac & Cheese Two Ways
- Culley’s Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Culley’s Original BBQ Sauce
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 500g elbow macaroni
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup + 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 6 rashers of bacon
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated Colby cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
- Spring Onion
- Blue cheese 50g
- Cook the pasta to al dente in boiling salted water according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and return to the pot.
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan, and add 1/3 cup of flour. Cook for two minutes to cook out the raw flavour and then gradually whisk in the milk.
- Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then add the cheese one cup at a time. Once melted, season to taste, add the dijon mustard and pour over the cooked pasta.
- Meanwhile, chop the bacon and place in a pan on a low heat with a drizzle of oil. Once crispy, remove onto a paper towel and keep the remaining fat in the pan. Add the panic crumbs and another drizzle of oil and fry until golden. Keep half the bacon for topping and stir the other half through the macaroni cheese.
- To make the chicken, dice up your chicken thighs. Place in remaining flour, then egg wash then flour and into a medium sized pot of oil. Fry until golden at 180°C for 5 - 7 minutes until golden. Drain and place in a bowl. Toss half the chicken in Culley’s Original BBQ and the other half in Culley’s Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce.
- To build, spoon Macaroni cheese into a bowl and top with the panic crumb and fried chicken. For the Buffalo Chicken, top with sliced chives and blue cheese. For the BBQ, top with crispy bacon and sliced spring onion. Then enjoy the food coma!